Many people have asked to see work that I have done while in process – meaning seeing the picture come to life day by day or hour by hour depending on the piece. So I am starting a blog on this exact thing, the progression.
Interested in a French landscape? How about a small vineyard or garden in the hills? Do you have a picture for a recent trip or an idea you can share with me? One client did and here is the progression of our journey.
I am backlogging this blog entry. In 2011 a friend of mine asked if I could help recreate a picture she had onto a large canvas. I took on the project with some hesitation, as I had only ever painted one landscape with as much detail, but I was excited to try and expand my skills.
Image #1– I started with sketching the shapes with a watercolor effect for images and objects. The colors can all be manipulated later, but I made them primary colors to start.
Image #2 – I started adding more layers of color to play with the detail and see or watch how the colors appear next to each other and how I can possibly mix them on canvas verses before. This is now starting to provide a first layer of dimension.
Image #3 – During the winter months I used to find painting hard because my kids were so young and therefore they needed more attention and more creative activities consumed me. I was forced to move my painting to a studio at the local community house to help me (force me) to finish the painting and do it with some helpful eyes.
At this stage, the images and the angels are really becoming apparent and therefore I started to focus on the layout of the images exactly all while still layering color and being conscious of not being to drastic with movement.
Image #4 – While still in the studio, the teacher helps me to color correct with small adjustment that make dramatic changes. For example, the yellow/tan fields just above the green rows needed to provide a balancing act between the rows and the church in the distance. The color of the tan field needed to be perfect so that your eye was not always drawn down. So collectively we decided to add a very small about of the light green to the tan to pull your eye up.
Image #5 – At this stage I am seeing everything come together and realizing the painting is almost complete. After looking at the colors and images for so many months, I decided to “Market Test” it with some friends – over wine ofcourse! The outcome was the same all around – lighten up the green rows and gravel between……
Image #6 – so I did exactly that and it made such a difference. I brightened up the sky and the house.
Image #7 – The final framed and installed painting that I call French Landscape (or something like that).
I am so proud of this piece. A friend of mine owns the painting and therefore I am able to view it often. I would like to thank her and her husband for putting their trust in me, and to allow my heart to hang on their entryway wall.